Helping students to make informed choices about their future is an important aspect of education at Ardingly College.
The aim of the Careers Department is to create opportunities for our students to experience life and work beyond school – to become World Ready. Part of this is by introducing them to diverse and exciting careers and opportunities and supporting their aspirations.
We host exciting and diverse events to cater for a range of interests and skills. These include our popular ‘Raising the Profile of Languages Event,’ ARTnetWORK, Careers in Maths and Finance; Careers in PE and Sport; Careers in the Creative Industry and a Year 8 Welcome to the World of Work event. Old Ardinians, parents, other professionals and local businesses come and speak to our students about their own careers, experiences and successes, engaging and inspiring students to ask questions as well as network on a more informal basis.
Other events and priorities include:
- Annual Further Education Fair
- Life Skills workshops – networking skills, presentation skills, mock one-to-one interviews and multiple mini interviews for our medical students
- One-off Careers Talks, for example – Gap Years, How to become a Pilot, Careers in Fashion, How to become an Architect, Management Consulting
- A timetabled careers programme for Shell, Remove and Fifth Form students, including Cambridge Occupational Analysts Preview Career Guidance Programme for Fifth Form to help them decide post-GCSE options
- One-to-one career guidance sessions
- Work experience placement meetings – supporting proactive students in finding work experience opportunities and drafting their CVs. Over the past year, the Careers Department has helped to place over forty Senior School students in valuable work experience placements during the school holidays. Placements include: a local architect’s studio, a local art gallery, the police force, a local interior design company, a fashion boutique, various banking and credit lending placements and a local mechanical engineering firm
- A dedicated careers website to facilitate individual research and provide ongoing advice: www.ardinglycareers.com.