Personal and Intellectual Development
Roles of Responsibility
The College encourages students to find their voice both in the classroom and outside by joining committees in house or by faculty, and helping teachers to organise programmes such as International Womens week. One of our most popular committees is our Catering committee where students enjoy the opportunity to influence their weekly menus.
Gifted and Talented and Academic Extension
We aim to challenge and extend students who show a strength or interest in a particular area. Not only does academic extension build benchstrength academically it supports career prospects.
- Medsocs – a society for budding medics
- Shakespere Society – to celebrates and enjoy the work of this literary master
- Maths Challenge – a nationwide and global competition to stretch the strongest mathematicians
Personal Wellbeing and Development
Personal Education (PSHE) explores contemporary, moral, and social issues facing young people, enabling them to explore values and attitudes, and to acquire the knowledge and skills necessary to make responsible, informed decisions. Topics covered include relationships, internet safety, body image and stress.
For older students, we also offer a Counselling Diploma which equips them with skills and knowledge to help others. They are also invited to attend a driving safety workshop.
There are opportunities for personal development, this could be to support a particular goal or hobby such as conversational language or useful for career development, such as touch typing. Through living in a diverse community and the opportunity to attend groups and societies cultural appreciation and understanding are broadened.
Duke of Edinburgh Scheme
The scheme is offered through to Gold Level. It encourages young people to undertake exciting, constructive, challenging and enjoyable activities in their free time.
These develop self-confidence, skills and leadership abilities. The Award is widely recognised by employers and people involved in education.
Ardingly College offers the Silver and Gold levels. These include:
- Skills (covering almost any hobby, skill or interest)
- Physical Recreation
- Expeditions (training for, planning and completing a journey)
- Residential Project (Gold Award only); a purposeful enterprise with people not previously known to the participant that lasts for a minimum of 5 days and 4 nights